There are some bread machines that have a jam setting. If you have one of these, you are one step closer to having the easiest homemade jam possible. With much less effort than if you made it over the stove, you can follow this recipe to make jam to accompany your homemade bread. This recipe makes strawberry jam, but you can substitute 4 cups of any finely diced fresh fruit.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Bread machine with jam setting
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 tbsp of pectin for low-sugar recipes (see tip)
- 4 cups fresh or frozen strawberries, washed, hulled and diced
- 4 tsp of lemon juice
- Container with lid for storage
Attach the kneading paddle to the bread machine pan.
Place the sugar into the bread machine, followed by the pectin, strawberries and lemon juice. Just like when you make bread, the order of the ingredients added when making jam is important, too.
Place the pan into the bread machine and close the lid.
Plug the bread machine into an outlet, and select the jam setting.
Wait for the bread machine to complete the jam making cycle.
At the end of the cycle, carefully remove the pan from the bread machine and allow the jam to cool completely in the pan before moving to a storage dish by transferring the jam with the spoon. Serve on toast or pancakes.
Tips and warnings
- Pectin for low-sugar recipes works best in bread machines. You can find it next to the canning supplies in larger grocery stores.