Create these delightful and useful bowls in different colours, prints and shapes. Perfect for gifts, or as as containers for a themed gift basket, or to hold fruit or pencils. These are decorative pieces of art, perfect for recycling those odd pieces of fabric into something pretty and different.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Glass bowl (2- or 3-quart suggested)
- Plastic wrap
- Mod Podge adhesive (glossy or matt finish)
- Small foam brush
- Strips of lightweight fabric (solid or printed) 1 or 2 inches wide
- Plastic table cover or newspapers
- Bias tape, coordinated or contrasting colour to the fabric
Choose a glass bowl and turn it over, dome side up, onto a work table covered with a plastic table cover or newspapers. Cover the glass dome with plastic wrap all around so that it reaches the table. (This is to protect the bowl and will be peeled off later).
Lay a strip of fabric over the centre of the dome so that it reaches from one rim of the bowl to the other. Don't worry about the ends at the moment. Holding the fabric down in the centre against the dome with one hand, apply a coat of Mod Podge adhesive with the foam brush on the fabric strip with the other, covering it completely on both sides of the glass bowl. Continue laying and overlapping strips of fabric over and around the bowl, securing the strips with Mod Podge. Let dry.
Remove the fabric bowl off the glass dome. Peel off the plastic wrap and discard. With scissors, trim off the excess fabric pieces to make a neat edge.
Measure the bias tape to fit around the perimeter of the newly created fabric bowl and cut excess with scissors. Open the bias tape and generously apply Mod Podge with the foam brush. Fit the bias tape with the adhesive over the edge of the bowl and around so the two ends meet neatly.
Apply a coat of Mod Podge on the inside of the fabric bowl to seal and to strengthen it. Let it dry.
Tips and warnings
- Images cut from fabric can be applied to the outside of the bowl with Mod Podge to enhance it. For example, if the bowl will be used as a fruit bowl, cut images of assort fruit and attach them around the bowl with Mod Podge.
- Mod Podge has a milky consistency that becomes clear when it dries.
- This bowl is for decorative purposes only.
- Do not put in microwave.
- Do not use as a serving dish to eat from.