Painting your ceiling to resemble a sky with clouds is not a difficult process. You do not have to possess any artistic talents to do this painting project. The sky and clouds will give the room a restful, serene look. You don't have to buy faux finishing kits to accomplish this artwork; a few basic supplies from a paint or home supply store are all you will need to quickly give the room a tranquil ambience.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Feather duster or other dusting tool
- Painter's tape
- Light or medium blue latex paint
- Paintbrushes and paint roller
- Paint tray
- White latex paint
- Faux glaze
- Paint stick
- Large piece of cardboard
- Sea sponge
Dust your ceiling and corners so they are free of cobwebs and dust.
Use painter's tape along the edge where the ceiling and wall meets so that you do not get blue paint on the walls.
Paint the ceiling a solid blue using the paintbrush and paint roller with the blue paint. Use the paintbrush around the edges of the ceiling where it meets the wall. Use short, tidy strokes to avoid getting blue paint on the wall area. Fill in the rest of the ceiling with the roller for the quickest coverage.
Allow the ceiling paint to dry thoroughly, according to the directions on the paint can. It may be necessary to add another coat if it did not cover the area well.
Pour one part white latex paint and four parts faux glaze into the paint tray. Use a paint stick to mix the two products.
Hold your sea sponge under running water and then wring it out so that it is damp.
Dip the sea sponge into the faux paint mixture and test it out on a large piece of cardboard. This allows you to experiment with the cloud shapes and to determine how hard to press the sea sponge. A light touch is recommended to get the most airy, transparent look for the clouds.
Press the sea sponge lightly in the places you want your clouds. Be sure to step back several feet occasionally to see the overall effect and help you determine where to place more clouds.
Allow the paint to dry thoroughly, and remove the painter's tape.
Tips and warnings
- You can find cloud decals or pre-pasted cloud wallpaper at paint, wallpaper, craft and hobby or home supply stores if you do not want to attempt this craft project.
- Add extra touches to your sky by forming animal shapes out of the clouds for a child's room or even adding a rainbow.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for