Every roofing contractor has to write contracts, and the great thing is you don't have to hire legal counsel to accomplish it--you can do it for free. There are two forms of roofing contracts: a bidding document or a formal contracting document in addition to the bidding form. It is a good idea to check out the prevailing styles of contracts to create the form on your word processor. Only submit your contract when it is polished and professionally presentable.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Typewriter or word processor
- Typing or printing paper
- State contractor's license
- City business license
- Costs of labour and materials
- Overhead/operating costs
- Worker's compensation policy number
- Liability insurance policy number
With your word processor choose a professional colour and font for your company letterhead. Place it at the top (left or centre) of the document. The letterhead should include your company logo, name, physical and e-mail addresses, and phone and fax numbers.
In a new paragraph: List the client's name, mailing address and job location, description of work to be performed as dictated in the pre-bid walk and architectural drawings (if available). When describing the project specifications, refer to the bidding material for clarification to avoid unnecessary holdups once the project is under way.
Next, state the projected starting and completion dates. Then include the details of your contractor's licenses (including state and local licenses), and attach certified copies of your workers' compensation and liability insurance (or have it sent to the client via your insurance companies).
Give a breakdown of your material, labour and taxes (where applicable); only if requested, include your profit margin. Always provide detailed terms for a cost-plus rate on additional work that is requested after the signed contract, partial and final payments.
Provide the list of manufacturer names for materials, and specify the warranty products from them and your company. (State laws vary on contractor's warranty timetables.) Roofing material manufactures offer material warranties that vary based on the type of roofing and product.
Creating Your Own Document
Tips and warnings
- Use proper paragraphs (left justification, single-spaced with double spacing between paragraphs) for each section of the contract. If you prefer the bidding document style for your roofing contract, refer to sample bid documents for an idea of how to create tables and sections for your contract.
- Always ensure that both parties are authorised to sign the contract.
- Bidding as a licensed contractor provides financial security for both parties. In most states it is illegal to contract for roofing work without a license.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for