Most people who own an eMachine computer will find that they will need to reset the computer at some point. It is a fact that PCs are more prone to viruses and malware than Macintosh computers. Sometimes the only way to restore an eMachine is to simply reset it. Fortunately, it is not a difficult process to reset an eMachine computer.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Turn off the computer. If the computer is in a state that it can be properly shut down, follow the normal shutdown process. On the other hand, if the computer is not reacting to anything, simply pull the cord from the wall.
Restart the computer. Plug the computer back into the wall and press the Power button. Wait for the eMachine to reach the screen that reads “Press F11 to start recovery.” Once this screen appears, press the F11 key on the keyboard multiple times to make sure that it registers. If the recovery screen does not come up, you will need to turn the computer off and back on again and attempt to press the F11 button again when the prompt appears.
Select the proper option. After the recovery screen appears, there will be a list of recovery options. Scroll to the option that says “Full System Restore (with Backup)." Choosing this option will copy all of the contents of the hard disk to the c:\My Backup directory. This will ensure that important files that have been created on the computer will not be deleted. However, the applications on the computer will need to be reinstalled.
Allow the system restore to run its course. Depending on the age and effectiveness of the eMachine computer, it is possible this process could take up to 45 minutes. When the system restore is complete, the computer will restart itself.
Reinstall applications. Any of the files created on the computer should be saved. However, the applications that created them need to be reinstalled.
Tips and warnings
- A simple system restore may be all that is needed. A system restore resets a system back to a previous date. Therefore, if a problem just started in recent days, you can restore the system to its state one week ago and remove the problem.
- Do not use the Internet without having some kind of protective software. Malware and viruses make people need to reset computers often. If the malware is avoided in the first place, people can avoid needing to do many things to restore a system.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for