The McAfee firewall is included in the McAfee security suite, and is designed to block intruders such as hackers and port-scanners from gaining access to your computer. Due to its integrated security features, it can often interfere with the installation of applications and software packages. Some programs may even prompt you to disable the firewall before installation begins. Disabling your firewall for a short period will not leave your computer vulnerable for long enough to be a security risk.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Locate the McAfee Security Center taskbar icon. This is located in the lower right-hand side of your screen next to the clock. You may have to click on a small expansion arrow if Windows is set to automatically hide taskbar icons.
Double-click on the icon once you have found it. It may take a moment to load, but the McAfee Security Center window will come up, displaying multiple configuration options.
Click on "Configure" on the left side of the screen. If you don't see this option, click "Advanced Menu" at the bottom left to bring up the advanced options. Click on the "Internet & Network" tab, and click the button labelled "Disable Firewall."
Tips and warnings
- If you have an older version of McAfee firewall, the steps may be slightly different. Browse through the settings until you find an option to disable the firewall.
- Never leave the firewall disabled for extended periods.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for