Riding a motorcycle is a fun and leisurely pastime that can be passed down from generation to generation. Whether you are an off road rider or a street biker, you at some point will need to haul your bike to a shop or for vacation. The easiest way to haul your motorcycle is with a trailer designed specifically for hauling your favourite bike. However, a custom built trailer is often expensive and may not come with the features you want. You can build your own motorcycle trailer and save yourself a bit of money and time in the long run.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Used pop-up camping trailer
- Bolt on tie-down hooks
- Treated wooden decking boards
- Trailer light kit
- 3-inch lag bolts
Purchase a used pop-up camping trailer. The camping shell need not be in good condition as you are only after the trailer frame anyway.
Disassemble the camping trailer down to the metal frame. Use the Sawzall to cut the plastic top, sheet metal sides and the interior cabinetry off of the trailer deck. Have your helpers assist in removing the floor boards with the sledge hammer and crowbars. Pull out the wiring, hoses and tubing from underneath the trailer and discard of everything that you have removed.
Cut the decking boards to the appropriate length and then lay them on the frame and bolt them down with the lag bolts. You can choose to butt the edges of the boards flush against one another or leave space in between them to allow water and mud to fall through.
Use the provided hardware and wiring instructions to wire the trailer lights to the back of the trailer. Attach the tie down hooks in locations of your choosing around the perimeter of the trailer bed using the supplied hardware. Buy a license and insurance and your are set.
Tips and warnings
- This same design can be used to create an all metal trailer, except you will need to substitute the decking boards with metal grating.
- Make sure to wear gloves and goggles when disassembling the trailer to prevent injury.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for