Staining a deck can be messy work. Sometimes deck stain can splatter or spill when you least expect it. When deck stain gets on the vinyl siding, you will need more than a rag to remove it. Once the deck stain has dried, it is even more difficult to remove. There are a number of products out there to try, but a few stand out as tried-and-true methods of removing deck stain from vinyl siding. Here's how to get rid of those stains.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Cleaner of your choice
- Face mask
- Rubber gloves
- Rag or sponge
Pour a little PVC cleaner (the clear kind, not the purple) on a sponge or rag and wipe the deck stain off the siding. Always rub in the direction of the grain imprinted on the vinyl siding. Wear a face mask and rubber gloves to protect yourself from the fumes.
Put a small amount of paint thinner or deck stain remover on a sponge or rag and wipe the stain off in the direction of the grain imprinted on the vinyl siding. Wear a face mask and rubber gloves to protect yourself from the fumes.
Use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to remove the deck stain.
Apply a cleaner such as Lift Off or Greased Lightning to remove the deck stain.
Ways to Remove Oil-Based Deck Stains
Fill a bucket with warm water and soap. Soak a rag or sponge in the warm water and rub the area until the stain is softened.
Use a cleaner such as Lift Off or Greased Lightning to remove the remaining stain from the vinyl siding.
Wipe with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to remove the deck stain.
Ways to Remove Latex or Water-Based Deck Stain
Tips and warnings
- Test cleaner on a small and inconspicuous area or extra piece of siding before you apply to the vinyl siding on the house.
- Once you have found a cleaner that will work for your vinyl siding, remember you will have to be persistent in rubbing or wiping the vinyl siding. The stain may not come off immediately, but watch closely as you scrub to be sure you are not damaging the siding.
- PVC Cleaner and other solvents can damage the siding on your house if not used carefully. If the colour on your vinyl siding does not go all the way through, they can possibly remove the top layer of colour.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for