Designer handbags are a big part of the fashion world. They come with a high price tag, but can be an investment if you plan to keep the bag for a long time. When purchasing a designer bag, make sure that you get what you're paying for. Do not get scammed into shelling out a ton of cash for a designer imposter Gucci purse. You can use some simple tips to tell if your current Gucci purse is authentic or to save yourself a lot of hassle on your next shopping trip.
- Skill level:
Look inside the bag at the interior label. All Gucci bags are made in Italy. If the purse is made in any other place, it is a fake.
Think logically about the price. The average price of the Gucci Joy Medium Boston Bag is over £455, as of 2011. If someone is trying to sell you this bag new for £130, it is likely not authentic. Be knowledgeable about the pricing market for the bags that you desire. While getting an authentic new Coach bag for £130 is a reality, getting a brand new Gucci purse for this price is not.
Examine the logo on a monogram bag. The Gucci logo is two letter Gs, almost touching, with one upside down. Any other mishmash of letters indicates a replica bag.
Smell, touch and feel the handles. The handles and any piping should be genuine leather. Any signs of poor workmanship, such as cracking, or any handles that are obviously made of plastic or pleather are signs of a fake bag.
Look at the stitching. The stitching should be flawless on a real Gucci purse with no random threads popping out.
Make sure your bag has a controllato card inside. These cards are Gucci's version of an inspection sticker, and one is issued with every authentic bag. The word Gucci should appear on your card in all capital letters.
Tips and warnings
- Always be sure your Gucci purse comes with a quality dust bag for storage. No authentic Gucci will ever be sold without one.
- Shop at an authorised Gucci retailer, such as a Gucci boutique, or a high-end department store, such as Neiman Marcus. If you purchase a bag at one of these stores, you are sure to get the real deal.
- Buying a bag on the Internet off of an auction website is the easiest way to get scammed. There can be some good deals out there, but you need to be sure to use all of your authentication knowledge.
- If you take a trip to New York City, do not buy a bag in Chinatown or on any street corner. All of these bags are Gucci replicas.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for