This easy-to-make candle lantern is a great craft project for kids and adults alike. Old Popsicle sticks or craft sticks and waxed paper are used to create a small lantern for votive candles. Be creative and decorate your lantern however you wish. Decorative wood pieces, construction paper or even photos can be used to personalise the design.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Waxed paper
- 16 Popsicle or craft sticks
- Craft glue
- Decorative wood shapes
- Small votive candle with holder
Cut a piece of waxed paper to 24 inches in length using sharp scissors. Lay the waxed paper out on a flat working surface. Colour the waxed paper with crayons, if desired.
Glue the Popsicle sticks to the waxed paper using craft glue. Begin at the bottom left corner and make a square using four Popsicle sticks. Make a second square beside this one, and then make two more squares beside this one (see illustration). Glue the sticks as close to one another as possible, with no more than a centimetre in between each square.
Glue decorative wood shapes in the centre of each box to make a pattern (see illustration). Allow the glue to dry completely. Depending on the glue used, this could take up to one hour.
Trim the waxed paper along the top and sides. Leave about ½ inch of paper on the sides to allow for gluing. Fold the paper over three times to make a box (see illustration). Pull the waxed paper as tight as possible and glue the two ends together with craft glue.
Place a small votive candle in a holder inside the completed candle lantern.
Tips and warnings
- If you're colouring the waxed paper, lighter colours work best, as they will let more light through the sides of the candle lantern.
- Decorative wood shapes can be found in craft and hobby stores, and are sometimes called "Woodsies." If these are not available, you can make your own out of craft sticks or use construction paper to cut out shapes and glue to the candle lantern. For a great gift idea, cut photos into attractive shapes, and use in place of the decorative wood shapes.
- Never leave your candle lantern unattended, or place a candle inside that is not inside a holder. This lantern is for indoor use only.