Protein is a very valuable substance for every cell function of the body. It is especially beneficial for weight loss. A quick way to get a good amount of protein into a weight loss plan is by making shakes from scratch. With the right ingredients including a few helpful add-ins, protein shakes can be made right from the comfort of the kitchen counter.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Protein powder
- Fruit - fresh or frozen
- Coconut oil or shredded
Get protein powder. The first step involved with making a shake is getting a good quality protein powder. Whey is a good form that is digested easily by the body. If you are a vegan or have allergies, then there are other options available such as soy, egg white and rice protein.
Select a liquid. This can be water, milk, juice or a combination of any of these. This depends on how many calories you are looking to get and also if you have an allergies. Alternative choices for regular milk would be soy, almond, rice, hemp and goat milk.
Get some fruit. The idea of a protein shake for weight loss is to get a high amount of protein, but it should not be at the expense of overall health. With that being said, adding some fruit will increase the fibre content which will keep you full longer and also slow the digestion process down. All of this translates to less calories eaten during the rest of the day.
Add coconut oil. Coconut oil has medium chain fatty acids. These are healthy fats that actually crank up the body's metabolism. This taken in conjunction with protein is great combination. Look for extra virgin coconut oil or you can just throw in shredded coconut.
Add yoghurt. This can be regular or frozen. Yoghurt has a good amount of protein, it is low on the glycemic index and it has calcium which has been known to facilitate fat loss. Adding yoghurt will also give the shake more consistency and thickness.
Tips and warnings
- If you're trying to keep the calories lower, use low or no-fat versions of dairy products and low calorie versions of fruit juices.
- Good fruit choices to add to your shake are bananas, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, mangoes and apples. These can also be frozen to give the shake more thickness. Or, you can simply add some ice cubes.
- Protein powders also come in an assortment of flavours to choose from. It really all depends on your personal preference.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for