High protein diets have become very popular, and for good reason. A study done in Michigan at the Rochester Center for Obesity Research found that participants who ate higher amounts of protein felt satisfied for most of the day and consumed fewer overall calories. Protein also provides the body with energy to perform its daily functions. The problem with getting a lot of protein in the diet is that usually it is found in high fat foods, such as meat and dairy. A great alternative to high fat, high protein foods is a protein shake made with egg whites. They pack a lot of protein, but without the yolk they leave out the added fat and cholesterol. With a few simple ingredients you can make your own high protein shakes at home, and tailor them to your personal tastes.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Carton of pasteurised egg whites
- Can of pineapple chunks (with no added sugar) or other fruit of your choice
- Coconut extract
- Packet of stevia
- Sugar free vanilla syrup (found in coffee aisles of grocery stores)
To the blender, add 1/3 cup of pasteurised egg whites, 1/2 cup of pineapple chunks, and 1/4 of the pineaple juice from the can. Blend for one minute.
To the blended mixture, add 1 packet of stevia powder. Stevia is an herbal sweetener, it is not a sugar substitute and will not raise insulin levels. Blend again for 30 seconds.
Add 1 to 2 drops of coconut extract, and a dash of vanilla syrup. Blend once more for 30 seconds.
If you desire a different flavour protein shake, you may substitute any fruit you desire and omit the coconut extract. For example, to make strawberry egg white shakes use 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen strawberries and omit the coconut extract. You could add a dash of strawberry extract if desired, and 1/3 cup of water to thin the shake.This exchange can be done with any fruit.
To make a chocolate protein shake, add 1 tablespoon of chocolate syrup in place of the fruit. This can be made with or without vanilla syrup. Experiment to see what you prefer.
Tips and warnings
- To make your shakes bigger, double the amount of egg whites to 2/3 cup. Adjust other ingredients accordingly.
- Pasteurised egg whites not only make a smoother shake, the protein, amino acids and essential minerals in them are more readily available for your body.
- Raw egg whites increase the chance for salmonella poisoning.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for