Granite counter tops are known for their durability and shine. Granite counter tops are sealed with a sealer, since like all natural stone, granite is porous. This sealer is sensitive to everyday household cleaners and over time, the cleaners wear down the sealant, dulling the finish in the process. To restore the shine on your granite counter top and keep it shiny, make your own granite cleaner for just a few cents using everyday household products.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Spray bottle
- Isopropyl rubbing alcohol
- Liquid dish detergent
- Rag or sponge
Pour 1/4 cup of isopropyl rubbing alcohol and two or three drops of liquid dish detergent in a quart-sized spray bottle. Fill the bottle the rest of the way with water and shake gently.
Spray the cleaning mixture on your granite counter top to clean it everyday or to restore the shine. Use a clean, non-abrasive rag or sponge and wipe the counters clean.
Rinse the counter top with a clean rag or sponge wet with plain water to remove any streaks and soap residue.
Tips and warnings
- Alternatively, use a commercial granite cleaner, following the instructions on the label. Some are sprayed on and wiped up with a lint-free rag; They do not require rinsing.
- Adhere to the cleaning instructions that came with your granite counter top, especially if it is still under warranty.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for