Second only to cotton in its versatility and production, jute is a vegetable fibre that can be spun into long coarse threads and used to make a wide variety of different products. One popular item made from jute is rugs. Jute rugs are soft, durable and environmentally friendly. Because these rugs are made from natural fibres, special care is needed in taking care of them.
Things you need
Spoon or spatula
Vacuum the jute rug regularly. This will help to extend its lifetime and keep dirt from accumulating between the fibres, making it harder to clean later.
Place the rug in a dry area where it is unlikely to encounter spills or wet shoes.
Spot clean the jute rug immediately if a spill does occur to avoid further damage. Use a dry cloth to blot the wet area. Avoid rubbing the area as this will only spread it. If the spill is big enough, you may need to turn the rug over and blot the back as well. It is important to remove as much moisture as possible. In dealing with a liquid spill that may stain the rug, such as juice, use a mixture of half warm water and half vinegar and blot this on the stained area with a clean cloth. Dip the cloth into the mixture and wring it out well to ensure that no water drips onto other areas of the rug. Blot the area dry with a second clean dry cloth and repeat the process if necessary.
Scrape away dried debris that may accumulate on the rug with a blunt edge, such as a spatula or a spoon.
- Occasionally flip the rug around to change the traffic pattern on its surface. Always refer to the manufacturer's instructions and read the care labels as each rug may be different.
- Avoid the use of hot water as this will cause a jute rug to shrink. Do not steam clean a jute rug; this will destroy it.
Tips and Warnings
- Occasionally flip the rug around to change the traffic pattern on its surface.
- Always refer to the manufacturer's instructions and read the care labels as each rug may be different.
- Avoid the use of hot water as this will cause a jute rug to shrink.
- Do not steam clean a jute rug; this will destroy it.
Things you need
- Vacuum cleaner
- Spoon or spatula