Fun foam flowers are everywhere: in hair clips, pins, bouquets and small vases. You can make your own from sheets of fun foam that can be bought at the craft store, or from foam flower kits, perfect for kids' crafts. The plumeria blossom, also known as frangipani, is the flower used in Hawaiian leis, and is simple and easy to make in foam.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Fun foam sheets in pastel colours for petals
- Green fun foam sheets for bases, or precut ones
- Pink pipe cleaners
- Bamboo skewers
- Green floral tape
- Sharp scissors
Cut fun foam in 12-by-2-inch strips.
Cut petal shapes out of strips by cutting one curve going from top to bottom of 2-inch strip, cutting a straight edge, removing scrap and cutting another curve. You should have a pile of about 10 or 12 petals, depending on how thick you made them. Cut a small slit, about 1/4 inch, at the base of each petal.
Cut scalloped circles out of green fun foam. You can also buy precut circles in a foam craft kit.
Place green scalloped base 2 inches down on the "stem," which is the skewer.
Pinch the base of each petal shape together, folding one side of slit on top of other, then poke the skewer through the two thicknesses of foam, and move the petal down to the green base. Do this for as many petals as you want, going from side to side so the petals are in a circle.
Make a centre for the blossom out of pink pipe cleaner. Curve the end of the pipe cleaner to make a tiny loop, then another loop on top of the first one. "Thread" the skewer through the two loops, then wind the pipe cleaner around the skewer in one or two circles. Poke the unlooped end of the pipe cleaner down through the petals and the green base, and trim off excess pipe cleaner under the green base.
Wrap green floral tape around the exposed part of the skewer to create the stem. Repeat steps 1 to 7 to make enough flowers for a bouquet.
Tips and warnings
- Float foam flowers in a bowl of water for a cute decoration.
- For a large quantity of premade foam plumeria flowers, look online.
- Glue the petals together and remove the skewer to affix foam flowers to earring and hat pin craft jewellery.
- Be careful with sharp scissors if children are helping you.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for