Breaking the steering column is a useful solution for someone who has lost their keys or has had their steering wheel lock. This process will allow a person to start the car using only a screwdriver. Breaking a steering column should only be performed when there are no other options for starting a car. Newer cars can suffer more damage to the column than older vehicles, however, the ability to start the engine remains principally the same.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
Push a screwdriver in between the plastic cover on the steering column and the steering wheel. Use force from your hand or a breaker bar to pry the cover off the column. The plastic cover may break, so keep in mind replacement may be necessary.
Remove the screw holding a round plastic piece just behind the steering wheel using a screwdriver. This is located to the left of the steering column. Retain the small plastic piece as this will help you start the car.
Pry the metal plate from the ignition. This plate is located at the bottom of the ignition. Once its removed, a spring will pop out. This spring is the focal point for the lock on the ignition.
Test the steering wheel, making sure it is no longer locked. The wheel should be able to be moved left to right without being halted by the locking mechanism.
Place the plastic piece inside the opening in the ignition. There is an opening within the plastic piece that will allow you to force the screwdriver inside the ignition housing. Turn the screwdriver and the car should start.
Tips and warnings
- Do this as a last resort. Attempt to contact the dealer and get a copy of the key first.
- This solution will only work on vehicles with ignitions on the steering column.
- This will cause major damage to your steering column. Any fix will take at least a couple hours, while removing the lock will only take around twenty minutes.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for