Making a homemade cheesecake can seem like a daunting task. But in reality, it is a simple dish that must be made ahead of time, making it a perfect dessert for your next get together. Make a simple graham cracker crust, fill with cream cheese batter, bake and chill. Adding pineapple to the basic cheesecake recipe makes it a refreshing summer dessert or, if you serve it in the winter, it will remind you of warmer days.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 1 2/3 cup chopped, fresh pineapple
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 0.907kg. or 4 packages cream cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Crystallised ginger for garnish (optional)
- Guava coulis (optional)
- Springform pan
Preheat your oven to 163 degrees Celsius. Make the crust by combining the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and 1/4 cup of the sugar. Using your hands, press the crumb mixture -- it will stick on its own -- onto the bottom and up the sides of your springform pan. Bake for 10 minutes and let cool while preparing the filling.
Make the pineapple purée. Place the pineapple, pineapple juice and lime juice in a small saucepan. Cover and cook about 20 minutes. When finished, the pineapple will be very soft and the liquid will be reduced. Purée until smooth and chill until cool to the touch.
Beat the cream cheese and remaining 1 cup of sugar using an electric mixer until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time. Next, add the pineapple purée and vanilla. When combined, pour into your prepared crust. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes until the middle is set. Cool on a wire rack and then transfer to the refrigerator for at least four hours or up to overnight. Serve as is or garnish with crystallised ginger or guava coulis.
Tips and warnings
- To make the optional guava coulis, combine 397gr. of guava purée, 3/4 cup sugar and 3 tbsp of lime juice in a small saucepan. Cook until the sugar is dissolved. Cool completely before serving.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for