Puppets can be made out of any number of household items. The plastic spoon puppets are easy to make and very easy to use to perform with after they are made. All the performer or player has to do is hold the plastic spoon handle to make the spoon puppet move. Plastic spoon puppets are fun to create and can be made by children or adults. This is a good project for one child or a classroom full of children.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Plastic spoons in any colour
- Yarn, craft doll hair or strips of paper
- Permanent markers
- Construction paper in different colours
- Googly craft eyes, beads or buttons
- White craft glue or a hot glue gun and glue stick
- Fabric scraps
Get one plastic spoon of any colour for each spoon puppet that is going to be made. They can be short- or long-handled spoons. Since these are creative and fun to make it might be nice to get enough supplies for each child to make more than one plastic spoon puppet.
Begin by putting hair on the spoon. The puppet face will be on the back concave side of the spoon bowl. Use yarn, craft doll hair or cut strips of paper to make the hair. Cut it and then glue it to the spoon using either white craft glue or a hot glue gun. It would be safer with smaller children to just use white craft glue. It is also easier to use with a larger group like a school class.
Add facial features made of anything from permanent markers to different coloured construction paper, googly eyes, beads, buttons or anything else that might make a creative spoon puppet. Make it simple or detailed. These are quite humorous and many different items can make the face.
Leave the puppet as it is or add clothing to it by making simple clothing accessories out of scrap fabric. Don't sew the clothes. Just glue the fabric on to look like whatever clothing item is being created. Whatever each person wants to create, it is up to her imagination.
Tips and warnings
- If these are done in a classroom, after the puppets are made, have the kids make up a little puppet show to go along with the plastic spoon puppets they have created. They can also make some to fit an already existing storybook they love. Then act it out with the plastic spoon puppets.