Dual citizenship means that you are legally recognised as a citizen of both the United States and another country. If your parents are American and you were born in different country, you can obtain dual citizenship very easily. Another way to become a dual citizen is to apply for citizenship in another country. Just make sure that in applying for foreign citizenship status that you are not required to renounce your American citizen status.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Know the facts. A misconception exists that simply marrying a United States citizen automatically confers citizenship upon the spouse. Abusing this privilege in the past led to changes in the laws. Marrying a citizen today merely facilitates the process of obtaining green card status and provides a quicker route toward acquiring United States citizenship.
Obtain citizenship in a foreign country through Citizenship by Investment Programs. Investing large sums of money into a foreign country's economy often grants one the reward of receiving full citizenship rights in that country. Investing amounts typically begin in the five-figure range, however (see Resources below).
Live in a foreign country for an extended period of time. The length of time required for residency varies from country to country.
Get naturalised. This is a must for a foreign citizen looking to obtain dual citizenship in the United States. Naturalization processing varies from country to country, but in most cases some kind of paperwork process involving an understanding of the intricacies of the foreign government and history will be a requirement (see Resources below).
Obtaining dual citizenship in Israel is singular and unique in that any person born in any country who is Jewish can travel to Israel and become a citizen of the state without going through a long naturalisation period. Naturalising as a dual citizen in Ireland can be accomplished simply by having at least one grandparent who was born in Ireland. Providing scientific or economic advantage to Austria can net you dual citizenship there.
The advantages of dual citizenship
Tips and warnings
- Obtaining dual citizenship in Israel is singular and unique in that any person born in any country who is Jewish can travel to Israel and become a citizen of the state without going through a long naturalisation period.
- Naturalising as a dual citizen in Ireland can be accomplished simply by having at least one grandparent who was born in Ireland.
- Providing scientific or economic advantage to Austria can net you dual citizenship there.
- Do not be fooled into thinking that United States law automatically grants immediate citizenship to a spouse; the laws against that have been on the books for many years now.
- Be sure to check thoroughly for whether you must renounce your United States citizenship in order to obtain foreign citizenship. Renouncing United States citizenship even accidentally can result in one long headache if you later try to get your citizenship status reinstated.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for