Ceramic knives have been the rage--in commercial kitchens used by professional chefs--for years. Now, they are available at upscale gourmet supply stores and department stores for home use. The benefit of ceramic knives is that they are not susceptible to acidic stains or odours. Ceramic knives also do not need sharpening for years, while steel blades may need sharpening every couple of years. This article will give you tips on sharpening your ceramic knives.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Diamond sharpening stone
- Silicon carbide sharpening stone
- Paper sharpening stone
Purchase a diamond sharpening stone to sharpen your ceramic knife. Angle the knife about 15 to 20 degrees to the stone. Swipe the knife along the blade with a sweeping motion.
Pass the knife over the diamond stone several times on each side. Wipe the blade before cutting into food.
Purchase a silicon carbide wheel or stone to sharpen your ceramic knives--if you don't want to use a diamond stone. Silcon carbide stones are made of a softer aluminum oxide and may not be as abrasive. If your diamond blade leaves any scratches, the silicon carbide wheel will remove any fine scratches left by the diamond blade.
Follow the same steps for the diamond sharpening stone in order to obtain a sharp edge on your knife.
Use a paper wheel for buffing. The paper wheel is less likely to snag or catch a knife while you are sharpening the knife.
Plan to resharpen your ceramic knife by sending it back to the manufacturer or by bringing it to a qualified knife service store which has a powered diamond sharpening wheel if you are not interested in sharpening your knife on your own.
Tips and warnings
- Send your knife back to the manufacturer for professional sharpening. Most manufacturers will guarantee their sharpening service and be responsible if anything happens to your ceramic knife.
- Never wash ceramic knives in a dishwasher.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for