Potassium is one of those nutrients we know we need, but we're not quite sure which foods contain it. Potassium is a mineral found in a wide variety of foods. Knowing which foods to eat will help you make sure you routinely get optimum amounts of potassium.
- Skill level:
Potassium is a mineral that helps maintain a healthy fluid balance in our body. It also plays an important role in making sure our nerves and muscles work effectively. Most healthy people don't need to worry about potassium intake because it's widely available in foods, especially fruit and vegetables. Some types of diuretics cause your body to excrete potassium, which must be replaced through foods. If you take diuretics, talk with your physician about your potassium needs.
Most fruits are good sources of potassium, but dried fruits contain even more potassium per serving. Dried apricots, figs, raisins and prunes are all excellent sources of potassium. Add dried fruit to a trail mix with nuts and seeds, sprinkle dried fruit on a tossed salad, or add dried fruit to your morning bowl of cereal.
Tomatos and tomato products such as spaghetti sauce, salsa and even ketchup contain large amounts of potassium. Snack on cherry tomatoes, add sliced tomatoes to sandwiches, and enjoy tomato-based pasta sauces several times each week.
Milk is a good source of potassium as well as calcium. Drink three cups of milk per day and you get 36% of your daily potassium requirements. One cup of most types of yoghurt provides 10 to 15% of total daily potassium needs depending on the brand.
Tips and warnings
- Potassium content of various foods:
- 28.4gr dried apricots: 518mg potassium; 15% of Daily Value
- 1 cup orange juice: 473mg potassium; 14% of Daily Value
- 1 medium banana: 422mg potassium; 12% of Daily Value
- 1/4 cup seedless raisins: 299mg potassium; 8% of Daily Value
- 1 cup grapes: 288mg potassium; 8% of Daily Value
- 4 prunes: 278mg potassium; 8% of Daily Value
- 1/4 fresh avocado: 243mg potassium; 7% of Daily Value
- 1/2 cup baked potato: 238mg potassium; 7% of Daily Value
- 1/2 cup fresh melon balls: 236mg potassium; 7% of Daily Value
- People with certain types of kidney disease may need to limit their potassium intake. Be sure and follow your physician's recommendations.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for