Cracked heels are the enemy of fashionable feet. Dry and sometimes painful, these heel fissures are common in senior citizens and people who are constantly standing on their feet. When your skin becomes dry due to cold weather, cracked heels are often the unsightly result. To get feet sandal-ready and smooth again, apply these home remedies to repair your cracked heels fast.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Foot basin
- Warm water
- vaseline, shea butter, olive oil or heavy moisturising cream
- Pumice stone
- Bath salts or mild foot cleanser
- Foot file
- Cotton socks
- Lemon juice
- Ripe banana
- Crushed pineapple
Fill the foot basin with warm soap and water. Ease your feet into the soapy mixture. Proceed to soak your feet for a minimum of 20 minutes. Don’t scrub your feet with the pumice stone during the soaking phase. Once the cracked skin on your heels has softened, remove your feet from the tub.
Gently scrub your feet with a foot file or pumice stone. Scrape your cracked heels repeatedly until you have reduced the dead skin significantly. Be careful not to puncture your skin with the foot file. Towel dry your feet thoroughly. If you suffer with diabetes or have a fungal infection, check with your physician before you proceed with this step. Clean the foot file with mild soap, followed by alcohol or a germ-killing solution for sterilisation.
Moisturise repeatedly. Apply shea butter, vaseline or olive oil directly to the heels of your feet. Replicate this step to prevent the cracked skin from reforming on the bottom of your heels. Before going to bed each night apply another thick layer of moisturiser to heal the skin while you sleep. Cover your feet with thick cotton socks to seal the oil into your skin.
Apply fresh fruit and lemon juice to your feet for extra pampering. If your skin has remnants of dry skin left after the moisturising step, apply lemon juice, a ripe banana or crushed pineapple to your cracked heels. Leave this fruit mixture on your feet for 10 minutes. Follow this step with a layer of moisturiser to soften your feet.
Tips and warnings
- Repeat the above steps nightly to remove cracked heels fast.
- Plan weekly pedicures and keep your feet soft year-round.
- Exfoliate your heels once a day, to prevent cracked heels from resurfacing.
- Keep your feet clean and dry to prevent fungal infections.
- Cracked heels may be a result of weight gain.
- Avoid walking barefoot on hardwood floors and hard surfaces.
- Thin soled shoes, mules and flip flops can cause increased stress on the heel. Frequent wearing of these shoes may lead to cracked heels.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for