One of the most important decisions that you will have to make in regards to your newborn is choosing a paediatrician. It's important to find a paediatrician whose style you agree with and are comfortable with. There are many sources that you can use in order to find a paediatrician.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Ask your obstetrician. If you trust your obstetrician, ask her for a recommendation. Doctors will often recommend other doctors who have a similar style.
Ask a nurse. The nurses at the hospital where you are going to have your baby are a great source of information. A paediatric nurse will have had contact with several different paediatricians and will be able to let you know the style of each.
Ask other parents. Ask friends, relatives, and neighbours who they take their children to. Parents are usually very willing to discuss what they do and do not like about their children's doctor.
Check medical directories. The American Medical Directory is a source of information about doctors that provides a doctor's training, education, and hospital affiliation.
Check with your health insurance provider. The staff will give you a list of paediatricians that are covered under your health plan.
Tips and warnings
- When asking other parents for a recommendation for a paediatrician, ask people whose parenting style is similiar to yours. Someone who has a different parenting philosophy may really like a paediatrician whose style is vastly different than yours.
- If available, you can use an online service that matches doctors with patients.
- If you were unhappy with your obstetrician, it is unlikely that you will be satisfied with a doctor that she recommends.
- Use the phone book to find a paediatrician as a last resort. Most listing do not provide much information about the doctor. Also, successful doctors with thriving practices often do not advertise in the phone book.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for