Laminate wood floors are used in several homes because they are relatively easy to clean and maintain. If you have plans to lay your own wood laminate floor, be sure to check your instructions first. Some laminate requires glue and some just simply snap together. Either way, the laying pattern of the laminate flooring is similar.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Taping block or extra piece of laminate
- Tape measure
- Compound (for levelling uneven floors)
- Pull bar
Level the floor. Once old carpet or flooring has been removed, check the floor to ensure that it is level. If it is not, you will need to make it level with a flooring compound.
Figure the direction that the wood will lay. Pre-lay the laminate flooring to help you determine the direction that the grain should lay. Consider other flooring patterns. Look at it with the light of the room and also in the light of day. Most manufacturers recommend for the grain to follow the sun light pattern if it shines in from a nearby window. Ultimately you should do what looks best in your space. Pre-laying will also help you see if you have enough supplies to finish the job.
Lay left to right in rows. Connect the first row of boards as directed. When you get close to the wall you will need a spacer.
Place the spacer next to the wall. You will then use your pull bar to pull in the last piece of wood for the row. Taping blocks are also helpful.
Continue to connect each piece of laminate in rows. If your floor does not require glue, you still may want to use some only in the high traffic areas. This will ensure that the floor does not go anywhere or separate in time. The last row may have to be cut to fit properly.
Tips and warnings
- Do not attempt laying laminate on top of a carpet pad. This does not work.
- Acclimate the laminate in your home for two days before installing.
- Helpful installation videos are also available. Check with your local home improvement centre.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for