Having a solid foundation of basics in your wardrobe can provide you with a clean and classic look. Basics are timeless and transcend trends. They have the ability to be worn across different occasions. Basics are versatile because they can flawlessly mix and match with other pieces. Planning and collecting solid basics can help you save time and money, while making you look and feel fabulous, no matter what occasion.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Little black dress
- Ballet flats
- White button-up
- Pencil skirts
- Structured bag
- No-show underwear
- Diamonds or
- Cubic zirconian earrings
- Pearl necklace
- Black oversized sunglasses
Get the little black dress. This little number was brought to the mainstream by Coco Chanel and made iconic by Audrey Hepburn. The LBD is one of the most versatile pieces you could own. Wear it casually, during business, on a night out, to a wedding or even a funeral. There are also various shapes for the little black dress, and you'll be able to find one that fits your body in no time.
Get ballet flats. Chanel your inner Audrey Hepburn and get these versatile shoes.
Get a crisp white button-down. A button-down top can be mixed and matched with a plethora of items. This versatile piece can be worn on several different occasions.
Get denim that fits well. For something once worn by coal miners and farmers, denim has made it a long way onto high-fashion Hollywood red carpets. Denim can be worn in a light shade and casually during the day or worn in a darker shade during the evening. Take the time to find denim that complements your body's shape.
Once you find a perfectly fitted T-shirt, purchase every possible flattering colour.
A cardigan is perfect for those brisk days. Get them in neutral colours, such as creme or black.
Get some black trouser trousers that can be used for work or a night out. Also consider getting some dark or light khakis for the day.
Get a well-fitted blazer as it can add a touch of professionalism or elegance to an outfit.
A black pencil skirt is a posh addition to your wardrobe.
Get black pumps. These are some of the most versatile shoes as they can transition from work to nights out.
Get a bag that you can wear with anything for any occasion.
Get no-show underwear. Find basic, convertible bras for which you can switch straps to conform to the shape needed for your tops. Get bras and underwear that are close to your skin tone so that they don't show beneath your clothing.
Get classic accessories. Diamond or cubic zirconium earrings can be worn to casual events or black-tie dinners. Pearl necklaces have the same effect. Find belts in black and brown to wear with trousers or pencil skirts. Get black oversized sunglasses inspired by fashion icons, such as Audrey Hepburn and Jackie O.
Tips and warnings
- Invest in some well-fitting clothes to get the best look for you
- Evaluate your lifestyle needs. If your job requires you to be outdoors, a basic to you may be vastly different for a woman who works in the office
- If something doesn't fit, find a tailor to do minor alterations
- If you have the money to spare, get custom-made basics. Finely tailored clothing constructed for your individual fit will last a long time and get a lot of use
- Find pieces that will last you a long time
- Have high standards with what you buy
- Pay attention to what your clothing labels are telling you
- Not sure what colours to get? Start with neutrals
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for