Selecting carpet for your home is a huge decision because it is a costly purchase and one that most of us have to live with for many years. After you decide on the brand, texture and the one that fits your budget, there is the question of colour. The choices seem infinite, but if you know a few basic facts about colour and its potential impact on your home and furnishings, the decision may not seem quite so daunting.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Carpet connecting rooms with the same colour of carpet for the sake of continuity. If you can see the carpet of another room from the one you’re standing in, consider using the same colour carpet in both.
Consider this fact first: Light colours appear to expand space; dark colours appear to shrink it. Unless your rooms are quite large and get lots of natural light, avoid carpeting your home with very dark colours.
Consider the colour of your walls and furnishings, particularly if you have leather furniture. Unless you’re planning to paint your walls or buy new furniture soon, think about how your current furnishings will blend with the carpet shades you’re considering.
Remember that a brightly coloured carpet will dominate the room. You may enjoy making a bold statement in a playroom or den, but you’re likely to tire of bright colours throughout the house overshadowing all of your other furnishings.
Think about the impact the household will have on the carpet. If you have young children and pets, you may want to avoid very pale shades that will make each speck of dirt or pet hair visually jump out at you.
Take your time. Although making a big change to your home is very exciting, shop around. Ask a carpet vendor to order small swatches of carpet in the colours you like most, and put them somewhere in your home where your eyes will catch them several times a day. Live with these colours for a while and see if your feelings about them change over time.
Tips and warnings
- If you plan on selling your home--either soon or down the road--you may want to consider what impact your carpet could have on potential buyers. Some homeowners opt for more neutral colours for this reason.
- Don’t select a colour simply because you happen to love it. Just because you think deep purple is a dreamy colour doesn’t mean it will look good throughout your home.
- Any carpet colour you see on your computer will not be the exact same colour as the carpet fabric.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for