A lot of cat owners keep their beloved pets in the house with them. However, sometimes it is not possible to keep your cat in the house. Now, this is not usually a problem for the cat. But if it is a problem for you, then build them an outdoor cat house.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Wood glue
- Screw gun
- Skill or circular saw
- Measuring tape
- 2 small hinges
Using the measuring tape and the pencil, measure and mark off where you want to cut the wood for the bottom, sides, top, back and front.
Mark with the pencil on the front piece of wood where you want the opening cut out. It needs to be big enough for your cat to come in and out of but what shape you want the opening to be is up to you.
Plug in the skill saw and cut along the measurements you marked earlier on the wood. Also cut out the doorway opening on the front piece of wood.
Place a line of glue on the edge of the bottom piece and set the bottom of the front piece even with the bottom piece and press it lightly but firmly together. Wipe off any excess glue that is squeezed out from pressing the pieces together.
Repeat step 4 with the back and both side pieces. Using the screw gun and screws, attach the hinges to the top piece and the back piece. A hinged top will make it easier for you to clean out the cat house.
Tips and warnings
- You can make your outdoor cat house as big or small as you want it. There are a few things that you can do to make your cat house look nice. Painting the outside is one way or you could put some siding on it. If you want to get really creative, cut some shingles down to size for the roof of the cat house.
- Using cedar wood is a good option but any type of wood will work. A good reason for using cedar wood is that it will naturally repel insects, which is good in the summer when mosquitoes are often a nuisance.
- Do not leave blankets inside of the cat house, especially if it is for feral cats. The blanket will mildew if the weather is damp, causing the cat discomfort.
- Cedar is naturally insulated, so if using cedar wood this will help to keep the cat house warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- Make the hole only big enough for a cat to come in and out of. You don't want bigger, unwanted animals making a pest of themselves.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for