When a vital file becomes corrupted, it might be necessary to restore a computer to its original factory settings. This process also cleans up the hard drive and removes old programs that can make a computer slow and unresponsive. But, because restoration wipes away all files you've installed or created, it should be a last-ditch effort in trying to repair a computer. If you've reached this point with your Acer laptop or desktop, the manufacturer provides a utility to restore the factory settings.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Open the Windows Start menu by clicking on the icon in the lower left corner of your desktop.
Click “All Programs," then the "Acer" folder.
Select “Acer eRecovery Management” to open the utility. If a Windows prompt asks for permission to run the program, click "Yes."
Click the “Restore” button in the pane on the left side of the program window.
Click “Completely Restore System to Factory Defaults.”
Select the “Yes” option in the dialogue box that asks you to confirm the action, and click "Start."
Click "OK" in the second confirmation dialogue box to restart the computer.
Click "Next" in the warning window that appears after the computer reboots. This confirms that you realise restoring the computer deletes any data stored on your hard drive.
Click "Next" again in the Restore Destination window, and click "OK" in the popup that gives you one last warning about deleting your data. The restoration process will begin.
Click "OK" when the utility lets you know that the restoration is complete. The computer will restart, and Windows will finish the recovery process.
Tips and warnings
- If you are unable to access the Start menu, use the recovery CDs that came with the computer or visit Acer's website (link in Resources) for other options.
- Always make a backup of important documents and data before restoring a computer to factory defaults.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for