Dressing like "Sex and the City's" Carrie Bradshaw doesn't have to cost you a fortune, but it can still allow you to make a statement. Carrie's style is whimsical and very fashion forward. The clothing she wears exemplify her personality. She is not afraid of colour, bold patterns or doing something different on the fashion front in the name of high style. If you enjoy layering clothing, adding accessories and pairing unique combinations of clothing together, you will enjoy dressing like Carrie Bradshaw.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- A variety of clothing
- Flower pins
- Stiletto heels
- Designer bags
Watch several episodes of "Sex and the City" to get a feel for the way Carrie Bradshaw dresses. Take note of any outfits you really like or think you can easily recreate. Pay attention to details and take note of what it is you like about the particular outfit (colour, style, accessories, etc.).
Look in your closet and find pieces of clothing that fit the type of outfit you are trying to build. Generally, Carrie Bradshaw wears very eclectic outfits. You can pretty much pair anything together and create an outfit you would see Carrie wearing in "Sex and the City." Keep in mind she is very fashion forward and, though vintage wear enters her wardrobe, she wouldn't be seen in anything frumpy or outdated.
Visit a second-hand store to locate other pieces that can be tied in with the ones you already own. You may need some pieces you can layer, handbags, sunglasses, shoes, and other accessories. Scarves and various types of see-through tops can be layered with other solid fabrics to create a very flowing Carrie-type outfit.
Choose a pair of stilettos that go with the outfit. Regardless of what outfit she wears, you very rarely see Carrie Bradshaw wearing anything on her feet other than high heels. She wears them with dresses, jeans, shorts and even swimsuits. Be sure to choose a pair that match the outfit, and also make sure you can walk easily in the stilettos.
Accessorise! Add details to the outfit in terms of accessories. Carrie Bradshaw is famous for her giant flower pins worn over the breast on shirts, jackets and dresses. She is also famous for wearing her engagement ring on a necklace, a horseshoe necklace (or two), a necklace that spells out her name and earrings that say "Carrie" in them. All these pieces can be custom-made online or found at jewellery stores.
How to Dress Like Carrie Bradshaw
Tips and warnings
- The more layers and the more outrageous the outfit, the more "Carrie Bradshaw" the outfit will be. Sarah Jessica Parker's character on "Sex and the City" is known for her over-the-top looks.
- Always accessorise. Carrie Bradshaw is known for her shoes, purses, belts, sunglasses, and of course, her flower pins. Don't be afraid to tack something out of the ordinary onto an outfit to make it unique.
- Avoid the Carrie Bradshaw look if you are going to the office or other professional event. Her clothing style (even when working at the Vogue office) wasn't always 100% professional.
- Be careful wearing tall heels. If you can't walk properly in them, it's best to trade the stilettos for a pair of flats to avoid injury.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for