The state of the economy has given everyone reason to find intelligent bargains that don’t sacrifice good quality. Finding ways to dress well are no exception. Some people resort to imitation designer clothes and accessories, but all too often, these tend to be obvious fakes and never seem to equal the quality of true upscale attire. What is the fashion-conscious yet budget-aware consumer to do? Learn where to find authentic top designer clothing at wholesale prices by reading these suggestions.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Search online for exclusive designer fashions at up to 80 per cent off. There are excellent websites devoted to absolutely nothing but luxury clothing at bargain prices. These are genuine designer brands, not imitations. See the links that accompany this article to view a few of the best examples.
Shop luxury boutiques during their annual sales events. These stores--Versace, Dior, Gucci, Chloe, Chanel and others--normally sell designer clothes at runway prices. However, before or immediately after “fashion week,” they seek to unload their “last season” merchandise to make way for the new arrivals. Don’t miss out!
Shop in upscale consignment stores. There are speciality consignment stores that deal only in gently used designer clothes. Many times you will see that the tags are still attached, signifying that the item may not have even been worn before it was resold at a deep discount. Check your local directories to find these shops.
Scour yard sales. Hidden among discount non-name brand clothing you may find one or two exceptional items. In these cases, the homeowner may have indulged in a one-time splurge for a special event, and never wore the item again. You would be surprised at how much vintage and not-so-vintage designer clothes you may find at a yard sale for literally pennies.
Find genuine estate sales in your area. Sometimes the phrases yard sale, garage sale, and estate sale are used interchangeably. Estate sales are always conducted by someone other than the homeowner such as a legal firm, bank, etc. These entities usually could care less if that cashmere, European-designed sweater costs £1,625. They will happily sell it to you for well under £65 if it means liquidating the property’s assets, including any clothing for sale. These sales will be announced in your newspaper classifieds.
Tips and warnings
- If you worry about the authenticity of any item you are considering, visit a luxury department store or retail outlet that specialises in that particular designer label. Examine the clothes so you will know how to differentiate between the genuine and the faux items. Ask a knowledgeable salesperson to tell you more. If they are not busy, they are usually happy to be of assistance. While you have their attention, see if they will tell you when they have sales!
- If you're not sure you like the idea of buying pre-owned high fashion clothes at yard or estate sales, remember that in the majority of cases, these items may have been worn once or perhaps not at all. Compare that to clothing purchased in a store that many people have tried on before you decided to buy it!
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for