Distillation is the process used to extract the oil from herbs and plants. The oil can later be used for aromatherapy or to alleviate various health problems. Some commonly used essential oils include lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus and peppermint. Lavender is calming and can be used in baths for relaxation, while eucalyptus can help open up the sinus passages. Essential oil can be made at home by simulating a distillery. Read on to learn about how to make essential oils.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1/4 cup herb of choice
- 1 cup olive oil
- Dark amber glass bottle
- Cheese cloth
Mix the cup of olive oil and the 1/4 cup of herb into a medium-sized pot. Purchase lavender, spearmint, bergamot or other herbs of your choice. Depending on what you want to use it for, you might want to consult an essential oil guide (see Resources below).
Set the oven to low heat and let the oil and herb mix simmer for 6 hours. If you don't want to cook them, you can place the oil and herbs in a glass jar and set it outside in the sun for 2 weeks.
Use cheese cloth to strain out the remainder of the herb from the olive oil. Do not purchase cheese cloth that has been bleached, because this will contaminate your essential oil.
Pour the essential oil into a dark amber glass bottle. Use a funnel to prevent spills. The dark bottle will keep the essential oil preserved for a longer period of time; however, you can put the essential oil in a clear glass bottle. If you use a clear glass bottle, keep the essential oil out of the sunlight in a cool, dry place.
Tips and warnings
- Use the essential oil within 6 months.
- Diffuse your essential oils to freshen your home.
- Make a variety of essential oils at home and keep them on hand so you have your own essential oil emergency kit.
- Essential oils are powerful so avoid getting them in your eyes by washing your hands after use.
- Never use water to flush the essential oil out of your eye; use vegetable oil instead.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for