How to Change Your Birth Date on Your Passport

Updated April 17, 2017

A valid U.S. passport is not only a primary form of personal identification, but also essential to travelling abroad, even as close as Mexico and Canada. If your birth date is listed incorrectly and does not match other identifying documents, it could make travel difficult for you. Learn how to change your birth date on your passport in a few simple steps.

Log on to the U.S. Department of State's website and download the "Name Change, Data Correction and Limited Passport Book Replacement" form. You can also pick up the form at a local post office.

Fill out the data correction form and be sure to list your correct birth date. Double-check the form to make sure you have not made any errors.

Locate proof of your birthday, such as your birth certificate or naturalisation certificate, and make a photocopy. You will need this documentation to verify your actual birth date, along with your completed date change form.

Find the address for the nearest passport issuing agency. You can find a list of locations online, in the phone book or at the post office.

Mail or take your completed and correct data change form along with proof of your actual birth date to your nearest passport issuing centre. It will take approximately four weeks for you to receive your new passport. If you need your passport returned more quickly, you can pay for expedited service.


Keep a copy of your data change forms in case you need to reference them in the future. Double-check your forms and the checklist of needed items before sealing or submitting them to your nearest passport agency.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Laura Scholz is an Atlanta-based freelance writer and publicist. She is the owner of Scholz Communications, a boutique public relations firm that specializes in creative industry sector clients. She enjoys writing about health and fitness, entertaining and and arts and culture.