A knit flower is a basic project that encourages novice knitters with a satisfying, stylish end result. By perfecting this crafty flower, you will be able to embellish anything and everything that you can get your hands on -- T-shirts, sweaters, purses, blankets, scarves and more can all benefit from a few soft, colourful blooms.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Yarn in one or more colours
- Embroidery thread
- Sewing needle
- Knitting needles
Cast on four stitches.
Knit one row.
Knit another row, adding a stitch.
Knit a row, then knit a second row adding an another stitch.
Knit one row to end the petal.
After you have completed a petal, begin the next petal by knitting four stitches, then repeat steps 1 through 5.
Create a minimum of five petals. The more petals you create, the fluffier the flower will be. With needle and thread, sew the petals together at the pointy ends. Use bright yellow thread for the centre of the flower.
Tips and warnings
- Flowers can be sewn directly to the item you wish to embellish or sew a pinback to the flower for a removable accessory.
- Hot glue your bloom to a barrette for a fun hair accessory.
- Use green yarn for several additional petal shapes -- slightly larger -- to create leaves for your flower.
- Don't trim your yarn close to the finishing knot. Leave a short tail and weave it into the work with a yarn needle for a professional look that won't unravel.