Breeding ferrets is a serious responsibility and commitment. It requires a lot of preparation and money. However, if you are ready to begin breeding your male or female ferret, the following steps should assist you in your journey.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Female ferret
- Male ferret
Ideally, you should bring the female ferret to the male ferret's cage.
After you have put the female in with the male, stick around to make sure that the ferrets don't fight. While a little roughness is normal, fighting is not acceptable. Typical mating efforts include neck biting which causes the release of hormones in the female which brings ovulation. If the hormone is not released in the female, her eggs will not release.
You should aim to keep the pair together for at least two to three days. This will give the female a fair shot at getting pregnant.
A ferret's mating session usually lasts between an hour to two hours. Some sessions are shorter and some are longer. It is not uncommon to see very frequent intercourse throughout this time with small breaks inbetween.
After the ferrets are finished with their mating game, watch the female ferret for signs of pregnancy. Her vulva, which looks like a bean during the breeding period, should shrink within a few days. If it doesn't, it means that you will have to attempt mating again.
Tips and warnings
- Although it is a good idea to keep the ferrets together for two or three days for optimal mating purposes, breeding a female two or three days in a row may cause her to have a bigger litter.
- Seeing a little bit of blood around the nape of the neck is OK during rough play, but if your male ferret is being too violent with the female, she should be removed.
- A ferret's penis has a little bony hook at the tip that becomes latched inside of the female. Don't attempt to separate the ferrets in the middle of a breeding session because you could cause injury to both of them.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for