One of the best things for healthy, shiny hair is an invigorating scalp scrub. A natural homemade scrub is even better, and also economical. Wherever there is skin, exfoliation is necessary. Invigorating scalp scrubs exfoliate the skin on your scalp surrounding the hair follicles, especially if you use something grainy in your scrub like sugar. Applying a scrub to your head once or twice a week will refresh your scalp, get rid of excess body oils, and provide the necessary vitamins and minerals to the scalp. You just need a few ingredients to energise and nourish your hair, making it look healthy and luscious.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp natural oil (jojoba oil, tea tree oil, chamomile, lavender oil, or sunflower oil)
- 1/2 tsp conditioner
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar (enough to make a thick paste)
- Scented oil (optional)
Mix 1 tbsp honey, 1 1/2 tbsp natural oil, 1/2 tsp conditioner and a few drops of scented oil, if you want, in a small bowl. Honey is a natural moisturiser for your skin and your hair. It contains essential properties allowing it to absorb and hold water molecules. This helps soothe dry skin and also smooths the hair, making it shinier. Natural oils such as jojoba cleanse and clean the scalp. They balance sebum in the pores, making the hair healthier. Adding conditioner makes the paste even more beneficial to your scalp and hair.
Slowly add in the granulated sugar. Add enough to make a thick paste, but be sure the sugar crystals don't dissolve. Large sugar crystals will do a better job at exfoliating and opening up the pores to be cleansed.
Wash your hair to get all the styling products out if there are any. Don't dry your hair. Keep it a little wet before you use the scrub.
Massage the scrub into your scalp with your fingers. Apply it directly to the roots to nourish your scalp. Leave it in for a few minutes to condition.
Wash off the scrub with cool water instead of hot. Hot water will wash away the beneficial oils, making the scalp dry. Shampoo your hair if you haven't previously.
Tips and warnings
- Part your hair in different places and examine the places where there is more dandruff or dryness. Exfoliate in these areas.
- Put in a few drops of a scented oil for aromatherapy.
- Take a long bath and leave your scalp scrub in for a while.
- Don't use a scalp scrub more than twice a week. It's recommended for people with dry scalps so using it too frequently will make your scalp oily.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for