Calling all belly dancers new or experienced! A weight belt can make your hips move in super speed! Wearing a weight belt will increase the strength of your core and back muscles. After wearing an 8 to 12 pound weight belt, you will have more endurance, strength, and balance. If you look around for weight belts you will see that they can be quite expensive, so why not make your own belly dancers weight belt!
Find a strong but soft stretchy piece of material. Make sure that the material is strong enough to hold weights.
Make a belt with 8 to 12 little pockets about 6 inches deep. Cut belt to fit waist. Use stick on Velcro on ends to close belt around your waist.
Sew little pillows and fill with about one pound of sand. Put pillows into the pockets of the belt. Having pockets allows you to change up the heaviness of the weights.
Use use ankle weights, scuba diving or fishing weights with the Velcro already on them. You will need 3 or 4 so that the weight is evenly distributed around your hips.
Attach the weights using Velcro and this will result in your own belly dancing weight belt.
You can use the weights in your hands to work arm movements too. Start off small, using only a few weights and increase as you get stronger. Practice with the weight belt for 10 minutes at first and then increase as your core strength increases.
Remember to maintain good posture or you may injure yourself.
Tips and warnings
- You can use the weights in your hands to work arm movements too.
- Start off small, using only a few weights and increase as you get stronger.
- Practice with the weight belt for 10 minutes at first and then increase as your core strength increases.
- Remember to maintain good posture or you may injure yourself.
Things you need
- Soft stretchy material
- Sewing machine or thread and needles
- Ankle, scuba, or fishing weights