Lobster, long considered the definition of luxury eating--bisque, Lobster Thermador or Lobster Newberg anyone?--is a delicious seafood that can be served in traditional ways, very simple with a side of melted butter and a fresh loaf of bread, or in a salad or burrito.
Since you can buy a higher-quality frozen lobster than you might be able to get at home, frozen seafood can be superior in quality to fresh seafood products. Frozen spiny or rock lobster tails have clear white meat, no odour, and should be purchased hard-frozen and kept hard-frozen until ready to thaw, cook and eat.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Frozen lobster
- Top-steam colander
- Wooden skewer
- Melted butter
- Lemon wedges
Let the frozen lobster thaw in the refrigerator 24 hours before cooking. Cooking unthawed tails will result in tough meat. Lobster will thaw faster if placed in a plastic bag and immersed in water while in the refrigerator.
Steam cook the now-thawed lobster. If you are steaming tails, they'll curl, so before steaming run a wooden skewer through them.
Bring 4 to 5 cups of water to a full boil in your steaming pot.
Place up to four average size tails in a top-steam colander and cover the pot. The lobster will turn red and the flesh becomes white.
Steam 1 1/2 minutes per ounce.
Carefully remove the steam colander once the lobster is cooked. Bring the colander to the sink and run cold water over the now-cooked lobster. This stops the cooking process and allows you to rinse-wash the lobster.
Serve each person some melted butter in a small cup plus some lemon wedges.
Tips and warnings
- Another option is to brush butter on the lobster to barbecue grill or broil them. They will dry out quickly, so barbecue or broil for only a minute.
- If you'd rather just broil without steam cooking, allow 5 to 6 minutes per pound.
- Seafood can be easily overcooked. Don't buy cooked seafood unless it will be served right away. Double cooking toughens the lobster meat.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for