Fancy cakes with cool special effects aren't just for brides or princess birthday parties. Little boys, and even big boys, for that matter, will appreciate a special birthday cake that incorporates the colours and persona of their favourite super hero. Better still, having an amazing superhero cake doesn't mean that you must rush off to the grocery store to buy a generic Spiderman cake for the birthday boy, either. These directions will make it simple to decorate a cake that will impress your friends, family and your favourite little hero.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Cake mix
- 2 round cake pans
- Glass mixing bowl
- 454gr. bag mini marshmallows
- 0.907kg. icing sugar
- Food colouring
- Rolling pin
- Superhero figurine
- Assorted candy
Mix cake batter according to directions on the box and bake as directed in two round pans. Once done, remove from pans and allow the cakes to cool completely on a wire rack.
Level cakes. Place one layer on cake plate, then spread frosting over the top to serve as filling. Add second layer, then lightly frost the entire cake.
Put marshmallows in a glass bowl, add 2 tbsp of water and microwave in 30-second increments until melted. Add food colouring. Mix in icing sugar until the mixture becomes a dough-like material called fondant.
Turn fondant onto a well-greased surface and roll out will rolling pin. Carefully lift the fondant and drape it over the frosted cake. Using your hands, smooth the top and gently work your way down the sides of the cake, smoothing the fondant until it covers the entire cake. Cut away the excess and discard.
Cut slits in an "X" pattern on top of the cake, and slowly peel the fondant back to reveal the cake. Use the knife to rough up the cake. Place the superhero figurine in the centre so it looks as if he has clawed through the top of the cake.
Decorate the rest of the cake with assorted candies, figures made out of the leftover fondant or the extra frosting piped through a pastry bag. Cake can be stored at room temperature for 2 to 3 days.
Tips and warnings
- Jelly beans make a cute border for the bottom of the cake. Use a small dab of frosting to hold them in place.
- Superhero stickers can be added to the sides of the cake for decoration. Just leave the paper on the back, and use a bit of frosting as glue.
- Coordinate the colours of your cake to match the superhero. Red velvet or yellow cake has a nice effect.
- Gel food colouring produces more intense colours than the liquid variety.
- If the fondant is too dry, you can add up to four additional tablespoons of water. To keep it from sticking to your hands, coat them in shortening.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for