The White House receives millions of visitors each year. During peak times from the third Tuesday in March to the Saturday before Labor Day, you must have a ticket. You can get attempt to get tickets at the gate which may leave you out in the cold or get the hookup from your Congressman.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Date of trip
- Congressman's phone number
- State ID
- White House info number
Determine the date to visit: Tours are closed on Sundays, Mondays, federal holidays and in case of White House special events. If there is a group of ten or more then you should start planning six months in advance. At the minimum, one month. Tour hours varies, but normally they are between 7.30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Tuesdays through Thursdays; 7.30 a.m. to noon on Fridays and 7.30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturdays.
Contact your congressional office directly for ticket requests or call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-225-3121 and ask to be connected. Be flexible on the dates if at all possible. Tell the staff member who deals with your request what date you are looking at and give your ID information, as required. If you are a foreign national, contact your embassy.
Check your tickets when they arrive for duplicates. You will not get in if there are duplicates.
Check the White House Tour Line (202-456-7041) often to make sure you do not have to reschedule your tour. If you hear that any foreign leader is coming to the White House on the date of your tour, you can be assured that you will have to reschedule.
Arrive early on the day of your tour in case there are any problems.
Tips and warnings
- Take Your ID
- You must have your ticket with you.
- You may also want to ask your congressional office for tickets to the Capitol as well.
- Do not bring anything to the White House other than your ID and tickets. This includes wallets and purses.
- To tour the White House, you must make a tour reservation through your Congressman. The White House does not distribute tour tickets.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for