If you love Subway's delicious, crusty honey 'n' oats bread, you're not alone. A lot of us would love to replicate the delicious sandwich bread in our own kitchen. Subway's bread recipes are closely guarded secrets, but you can bake a honey 'n' oat bread that comes very close to the original.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Bread machine
- 2 packets of active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tbs. honey
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- Melted butter
- Italian herb mixture, dried
- Monterey jack cheese, grated
- Parmesan cheese
- Toasted oats
Place all of the ingredients in a bread pan.
Turn the bread machine on light setting and cook according to the directions included with your bread machine.
Allow the baked bread to cool on a wire rack.
Brush the cooled bread with melted butter.
Sprinkle on a light dusting of Italian herbs, grated Parmesan cheese and grated mozzarella cheese.
Garnish with a few toasted oats.
Tips and warnings
- It's easy to make delicious toasted oats to top your fresh honey 'n' oats, Subway-style bread. Simple place the oats on a baking sheet and bake them in a preheated 325-degree F oven for until they're lightly brown. Stir the oats two or three times during the cooking time so they'll cook evenly.
- Honey 'n' oat bread bread is delicious in Subway-style sandwiches, but also makes wonderful toast. Try some for breakfast with some fresh jam or a bit of honey.