When you need a new home, you may want to consider a custom built home. Rather than hiring an architect you may want to design your own floor plan. Having a custom home built allows you to design a home that meets all of your needs and wants. Read on to learn how to design a dream house floor plan.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Decide what you and your family need. Consider the activities that take place and the number of people involved in those activities when designing your dream home.
Consider the attributes of the location at which you would be building. The design of surrounding homes, the shape of the lot or land and the climate in which you are building are all things to consider when designing a new house. The types of floor plans that are appropriate for your area will vary based on the elevations of the property and the climate in which you live.
Choose how you want the house to look on the outside and sketch out the shape that you would like the house to have. The shape of your house will be determined by the shape and size of the lot and the style of house you want to design. This will provide a framework from which to draw your floor plan. You can make changes to the shape as you design your floor plan.
Plan out the main living spaces you need or want. If you entertain formally than plan for a formal dining room or living room. On the other hand, if your life is more casual than you might prefer a great room with an adjoining kitchen.
Imagine your dream bedroom. If you want your bedroom to be a retreat than a large master suite with room for seating may be for you, but if you only sleep there than a small cozy room may better fit your style.
Give consideration to other areas you might want in your home. If you have a large collection of books or work at home, you might want to add a library or den. If you are into physical fitness than you might want to include a home gym in your floor plan.
Create a floor plan using architecture software. Programs such as "Plan3D" and "Broderbund 3-D Home Architect" allow you to create floor plans and see what the built house will look like in 3-D.
Tips and warnings
- Designing a floor plan with plumbing fixtures close together may lower your building costs. For example in a two-story home you may want to design your floor plan so that one bathroom is on top of the other.
- Kitchens sell houses. If you plan to sell your house someday than consider including features such as granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances.
- Websites such as "Architect Studio 3D" can help you to get started by allowing you to create a sample floor plan.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for