Although new guinea pig owners typically buy a pet shop pellet mix and hay to feed their pets, the animals also appreciate an occasional treat. In addition to keeping your guinea pig's diet exciting, serving your pet extra treats that are also nutritious can be good for the animal's health.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Oat flour
- Vegetable oil
- Guinea pig pellets
- Biscuit cutters
- Baking tray
Create a homemade fruit salad for your guinea pig. Wash and dry your fruit. Get out a cutting board and a knife and chop your fruit into small pieces. A good mix of suggested fruits that are safe for guinea pigs include apples, strawberries and seedless grapes. Never include apple cores or pips, as the seeds contain cyanide that can harm your pet.
Cut cold peppers into strips. Stack them over each other diagonally and the peppers will look like a flower. Add colour with a mix of green, yellow and orange peppers. Guinea pigs enjoy peppers and can eat them in moderation every day.
Prepare your own version of trail mix for your guinea pigs. Take some of your guinea pig's pellets and mix in half-pieces of cherry tomatoes, small pieces of carrot and little chunks of courgette.
Bake your guinea pig healthy biscuits by mixing and mashing water, guinea pig pellets, oat flour, vegetable oil and honey together. Once you create a dough, use a cutter to make shapes. Put your shapes on a baking tray and bake them in the oven for 15 minutes at around 175 degrees C (350F). Let them cool and serve.
Tips and warnings
- Try all sorts of food combinations when making treats for your guinea pig as long as you know what foods are safe. It's always best to consult your vet before introducing a new food into your pet's diet if you are unsure if it is safe or not.
- When making a treat involving lettuce for your pet, always use romaine or butter-head lettuce. Iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value for guinea pigs.
- Never feed your guinea pig coconuts or avocados. These foods contain too much fat for a healthy guinea pig's diet.
- Guinea pigs should never eat sugary human foods such as cake, ice cream or chocolate.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for