If you style your hair every day, your hair probably needs some TLC, so pamper it by letting it take a breather. One of the best things you can do for your hair while letting it "rest" is washing it with some natural olive oil shampoo because olive oil shampoo will nourish and condition your tired tresses. You can make your own natural olive oil shampoo at home using ingredients you probably already have.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Liquid Castile soap
- 1 egg
- 2 lemons
- Apple cider vinegar
- Aloe vera juice
- Squeeze bottle
- 88.7ml. canola
- 354ml. castor oil
- 414ml. coconut oil
- 59.1ml. jojoba oil
- Slow cooker
- 473ml. water
- Chamomile, hibiscus or rosemary tea bags
- Ceramic or metallic bowl
- 170gr. lye (sodium hydroxide)
- 59.1ml. hempseed oil
Pour 29.6ml. olive oil and ½ cup Castile soap in the blender.
Add the egg to the olive oil.
Add 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar or 2 tbsp aloe vera juice.
Blend the ingredients until smooth and pour the mixture into a squeeze bottle. Put the cap on the bottle.
Mix all of your oils together except for the hempseed oil and heat them in the slow cooker.
Boil 236ml. water and, depending on the colour of your hair, make some tea. Chamomile is best for light hair, while rosemary is for brunettes and hibiscus for redheads.
Mix 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar and 236ml. tea with the remaining 236ml. water in a ceramic or metallic bowl.
Add the lye to the mixture and stir it with a wooden spoon. Let the mixture sit for an hour or two.
Take your lye mixture and add it to the slow cooker. Let the mixture simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally.
Turn the slow cooker off and add the hempseed oil.
Pour the mixture into your preferred mould and let it sit for a few days to harden.
Tips and warnings
- Olive oil is also a great remedy for dry and tangled hair. It is also effective against dandruff and lice.
- This is a shampoo, not just an oil treatment, so it is advisable to do this in the bath so that you won't stain your clothes.
- If you are making the shampoo bar, you should practice caution and wear protective gear such as goggles and rubber gloves, since you will be working with lye.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for