You might be familiar with camomile tea and its fabled ability to soothe and calm you at bedtime. However, camomile is also used for lightening hair. If you have blonde or light-brown hair that has become dull and you want to brighten it up a bit, camomile is a gentle way to enhance the highlights in your hair.
Things you need
250 ml (1 cup) dried camomile flowers or tea
Enamel or glass pot
Camomile hair treatment
Buy camomile tea at a supermarket or health food shop. Alternatively, you can buy dried camomile anywhere that sells bulk herbs.
Use an enamel or glass pot to make a rinse. Metal pots will react with the camomile and alter its lightening effect.
Add the camomile flowers or tea to 500 ml (2 cups) of heated water in the pot. Allow it to boil gently for 30 minutes. Let it cool to a comfortable, lukewarm temperature before you use it -- this can take several hours.
Strain the camomile flowers through a plastic sieve and collect the liquid in a bowl. Wash your hair as usual and use the camomile lightening liquid as a final rinse. When you pour it through your hair, catch it into the bowl again and rinse it through your hair several times this way.
Dry your hair in the sun if possible, as this strengthens the effect of the camomile rinse. Use the tea often to keep your subtle highlights fresh or to attain the effect you desire.
Camomile shampoo and conditioner
Make your own highlighting shampoo with camomile. Simply add 10 ml (2 tsp) dried camomile to 50 ml (1/4 cup) of boiling water. Steep the camomile in the boiling water and then strain the liquid and mix it into 50 ml (1/4 cup) of mild shampoo, such as baby shampoo. Use it as you would any shampoo. It will be gentle on your hair and soothing to your scalp.
Make a camomile conditioner by adding 75 ml (1/3 cup) camomile flowers to the same amount of olive oil in a jar with a lid.
Leave it on a windowsill in the sun and shake it up once a day. Strain out the camomile after a couple of weeks and use it on the ends of your hair.
- If you are using camomile tea to lighten your hair, it might contain other herbs. Brew the tea very strongly to get the full power of the camomile in the tea. Another way to apply camomile tea as a lightener is to pour the liquid into a spray bottle and spray it into your hair.
Tips and Warnings
- If you are using camomile tea to lighten your hair, it might contain other herbs.
- Brew the tea very strongly to get the full power of the camomile in the tea.
- Another way to apply camomile tea as a lightener is to pour the liquid into a spray bottle and spray it into your hair.
Things you need
- 250 ml (1 cup) dried camomile flowers or tea
- Enamel or glass pot
- Plastic strainer
- Glass bowl
- Spray bottle
- Baby shampoo
- Olive oil