The original bean bag chair has been expanded and redesigned into a sofa bed. This bean bag sofa bed makes fun seating in a game room, in a college dorm or is a child's room. The bean bag sofa bed is easy to make and only takes a few hours to assemble.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 3-by-32 feet of thick, comfortable material
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
- Cardboard tube 6 inches in diameter and 3 feet long
- 3 feet of Velcro
- 50 to 56 cubic feet of bean bag beans or styrofoam peanuts
Buy your materials. Purchase the fabric at any fabric store. Use styrofoam packing peanuts purchased at a packing supply store as filling for the sofa bed. Another option is to use ground up styrofoam found at recycling centers. Packing peanuts are sold by cubic feet.
Cut the fabric into three long strips measured 3-by-8 feet.
Sew the fabric strips together to make a cylinder.
Make two circles in the fabric that measure 3 feet in diameter. These make the ends of the sofa.
Cut a 2-foot square out of the fabric. This fabric is used to cover the fill hole.
Attach the ends onto the cylinder.
Cut a hole in the back of the sofa that is big enough to slide the tube into.
Sew the Velcro around the hole. Sew the cover piece onto one side of the hole. Attach a Velcro strip to the other side of the square. Match a piece of Velcro to the place on the sofa where the sides meet.
Slide the tube through the hole.
Fill the sofa with the packing peanuts or filling. The sofa needs to be filled at least 80 percent to be firm enough to sit on. For extra firmness, fill the sofa 100 percent full. Refill the sofa over time when the filling flattens out.
Seal the Velcro and place the sofa in the room. Sit and enjoy your creation.
Tips and warnings
- Turn the fabric inside out when sewing. Turn the sofa back right side out to finish.
- If you have a staircase, hang the sofa over the edge while filling it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for