A perinatologist is a doctor who specializes in high risk pregnancies and potential complications of the fetus, placenta, uterus or other pregnancy issues. An obstetrician or midwife may suggest a perinatologist for an advanced ultrasound and prenatal screening to examine you while you are pregnant. Use the following instructions to ensure you find the right perinatologist for you.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Request a referral from your obstetrician or midwife. If a specific perinatologist referral is not available, call your insurance company or use their web-based doctor search.
Verify that your insurance covers the perinatologist. Use your insurance company's web-based search tool or call your insurance representative. Have the perinatologist's office address and phone number ready.
Confirm the perinatologist has privileges at your hospital or birth center choices. Contact the perinatologist's office for a list of locations.
Search for online reviews of the perinatologist. See Resource section below.
Call the perinatologist's office to set up an appointment. Request an initial meet and greet visit if possible. At your initial visit with the perinatologist, determine whether you require more than one visit, if you feel comfortable in the perinatologist's presence in the office and in the delivery room and if the perinatologist supports your birth, recovery and newborn care choices.
Write down any questions in a notebook before your initial visit. Bring this notebook with you to your visit.
Tips and warnings
- If your obstetrician or midwife is unable to suggest a perinatologist, call other local OB offices or birth centers for suggestions.
- Consider having the perinatologist present at the birth when you require advanced prenatal care throughout your pregnancy.
- Some insurance companies only cover one or two ultrasounds per pregnancy.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for