Berets are fun hats to wear and they can be fun to make as well. The beret can be worn by men, women and children. You can get creative when making a beret and use a variety of fabrics and decorations. Follow these easy steps to make a beret.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- One yard of fabric
- Needle and thread
- Safety pin
- Sewing machine (optional)
- Embellishments (optional)
Draw two perfect circles that are about 16 inches in diameter on a piece of fabric.
Cut out the two fabric circles.
Sew the right side of the circles together (inside out) all the way around, but leave a four-inch gap.
Turn the hat right-side out. Sew all the way around the hat about one inch from the edge. Leave the gap open.
Take a length of 1/2-inch wide elastic and thread it through the gap in the fabric all the way around inside the seam. It is helpful to fasten a safety pin to the end of the elastic and slowly pull it through.
Try on your beret and fix the length of the elastic so it fits your head comfortably. Tie the elastic in a knot and cut off the extra elastic.
Stitch up the gap in your beret by hand.
Embellish your new hat with rhinestones, beads, embroidery, patches or anything else you can dream up.
Tips and warnings
- To make the beret bigger or smaller, simply cut your circles larger or smaller.
- To draw perfect circles use a piece of string and a pencil or find a big pot or bowl that is the desired diameter.
- Make different berets out of different kinds of fabric. A velvet beret is a fancy hat, while a cotton beret is great for a summer day.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for