If your brick fireplace looks like it belongs in a 1970s sitcom, then taking a paintbrush to it might be the solution for you. Yes, you can paint your brick fireplace. It's a great way to give your fireplace and room a new and fresh look without breaking the bank with an expensive remodel. In addition, painting the brick gives you the opportunity to let your creativity shine.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Drop cloth
- Painter's tape
- Masonry primer or conditioner
- Paint brushes and rollers
- Paint tray
- Latex paint
Choose the color you want to paint the fireplace. If you're overwhelmed by the number of paint colors out there, start with an inspiration point. This can be fabric, such as drapes, upholstery and pillows, or a favorite piece of artwork.
Prepare and clean the brick. Use sandpaper to go over the surface of your fireplace to remove any loose pieces of mortar, followed by the vacuum to get rid of the dust and dirt. Use a bucket of soap and water to clean the brick with a firm brush and allow to dry thoroughly. Repeat with the vacuum.
Tape off any areas you don't want to paint. This is an important prep step that will save you a lot of time later if you have to go back to remove unwanted drips or mistakes.
Find a primer that you can use on masonry projects. You can use a thick-nap roller (up to 1 inch) to cover the surface, then go back with a brush to cover the grout. Allow the primer to dry thoroughly.
Apply your paint color. Using a high-quality latex paint, begin to paint the brick using your roller and brush. For complete and long-lasting coverage, you might consider applying 2 or 3 coats of paint.
Tips and warnings
- Opt for cheap paint brushes for painting your brick fireplace. The rough brick surface will ruin the bristles of your more expensive brushes.
- Don't limit yourself. You can paint your fireplace 1 solid color or get adventurous with a layered look, dabbing and blending a complementary color over the base.
- If you want to highlight your fireplace as a focal point, paint the walls a different color. Or, to remove attention from the fireplace, paint the walls the same color.