Once you have brought your pet fox home, it is time to train him. Most pet foxes are fennecs, a breed that is very playful and social. Fennec foxes are much like dogs, in many ways. They are capable of learning some basic rules and games.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Dog training book
- Enclosed cat litter box
- Non-clumping cat litter
- Puppy pads
Fill a cat litter box with about 3 inches of cat litter.
Place the litter box in a location that will be easy for your fox to access.
Show your pet the litter box and let him explore. Foxes have keen senses of smell so she will pick up the scent quickly.
Take your fox to the litter box on a regular basis as you begin to train him. This could be as often as every hour.
Return your pet fox to the litter box if she has an accident. Showing the fox the appropriate place to go as soon as you discover the accident will help her remember the correct place to go.
Train Your Pet Fox to Use a Litter Box
Read a dog training book for basic techniques such as teaching to walk on a leash, sit and play ball or fetch. "101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog" by Kyra Sundance is available at Amazon (see Resources below).
Put a collar on your fox and let him get used to it before starting to train on a leash. Make sure the collar is snug so he cannot wiggle out of it.
Clip a leash on your pet and walk with her. Use the suggestions regarding heeling and pulling from the dog-training book as you work with the fox.
Play ball with your fox. Teach your fox to retrieve the ball after you throw it. Fennecs like to play and this is a very good way to bond with your pet.
Train Your Pet Fox as You Would a Dog
Tips and warnings
- Foxes like to dig and therefore can make a real mess with cat litter. Try using a litter box that is enclosed to minimize your clean up time.
- Some foxes will never box-train, preferring to dig in the litter instead. Try using puppy pads instead to see if he prefers to use them.
- Be patient when training your fox. He will be able to sense your frustration, which will make the process harder for both you.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for