If you have been wood carving for a while, it is likely that you have developed some skill at the craft. You may have moved on from carving strictly for your own enjoyment to creating pieces for family and friends. If you get a lot of compliments on your work and are the recipient of frequent requests for your carvings, you might want to consider selling your work for a profit. When that time comes, you need to know how to sell wood carvings.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Consider using eBay to sell your carvings (see Resources below). With millions of users all over the world, eBay allows you to reach more potential buyers than any other single marketplace. Create a seller's account if you don't already have one. Then, start listing your wood carvings for sale.
Decide whether you want to auction your wood carvings or offer them for immediate sale. You can choose either option on eBay. An auction will allow buyers to bid up the price of your carvings, which could result in the item selling for more money than you imagined it would. Offering the item for immediate sale (known as "Buy It Now" on eBay) will let buyers skip the bidding process and purchase the item outright for a price set by you.
Open up your own eBay store. If you have a large inventory of wood carvings to sell and are constantly making more, you may want to consider an eBay store. You can list items you currently have in stock at set prices, and buyers can browse your store online and purchase directly from you through the Internet.
Try the local classified ads or Craigslist (see Resources below). You will pay a small fee for a traditional classified ad, but Craigslist classifieds are free. Placing an ad in either place will allow local buyers to know who you are and what you are selling.
Set up a table at the flea market. For a nominal fee, you can set up shop at your local flea market on the weekends. You can sell your wood carvings for whatever price you deem fit, and there is the advantage of potential customers being able to see your carvings in person. Contact the management of the flea market to arrange for a table.
Know How to Sell Your Wood Carvings
Tips and warnings
- Choosing a category in which to sell your wood carvings on eBay can be tricky. There are hundreds of categories and subcategories on eBay. Search for "Wood Carvings" from eBay's main page to see just what categories other people are using to place their carvings. "Art," "Crafts" and "Collectibles" are some common ones. Then, decide what category your wood carvings will best fit into according to their intended use.
- Don't overlook the local market. Try giving family and friends sample wood carvings that they can display in their homes. Ask them to let people know that you sell your carvings. Good word of mouth in your own area can eventually result in a lot of sales.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for